This is a hard morning for a lot of people today. Not just in the U.S. but worldwide. We’re in shock. Things did not go as planned, we have no idea what the repercussions will be and that is scary. It’s easy, way too easy, to fall into a bad rut today. How many of us are trolling social media, soaking in all the gloom and doom reporting and hateful gloating. It’s starting to feel like passing the same bad car wreck for hours and hours as you witness a lot of fear being played out.
If you are an INFJ, or really any introvert, you are feeling this more than most. You are a sponge and you can’t turn that off. Where as others can skim through the muck of angry posts, you will absorb that energy until you become saturated and feel like that’s all there is out there. I get that you want to feel connected to someone right now who will make this all feel better, less surreal. Hanging out with your tribe on a day like today can be a great thing, if they are finding some positive things to say. But if your social media friends are swimming in the muck it’s time to tune them out and do things that will pull you up (so you can then do that for others).
Here’s my recipe for getting out of the muck rut.
- Turn off the TV and get off social media for the rest of the day. It may feel a little like the world is ending, but it isn’t going to happen today.
- Clean something, preferably something that won’t get dirty or messed up again quickly. Cleaning out drawers is one of my favorite things to do on a day like this. Getting rid of what no longer works for me and getting more focused on what is important to me does wonders. When you are done, stop and admire your work. Take a pic of it and post it on social media…tomorrow.
- Take a bath. A long, deliciously-scented, low-light bath with maybe some Pandora spa music playing. Sit there until the bubbles have all popped and the water is cool. Think about your fears and address them. Prioritize them and decide what causes you are most concerned about. Get clear about where you want to spend your precious energy now.
- Get dressed in your best feel-good clothes. For me it’s a Hello Kitty sleep shirt with leggings and my favorite slippers.
- Get on your computer, but only to research whatever cause you decided is at the top of your new priority list. This is your chance to keep your cause alive and thriving. There are so many groups that will need additional support in the next couple of years. Commit to one or two now. Make plans to volunteer.
- Read something up-beat or watch “Young Frankenstein” or “Monty Python.” Bonus points if you can do this with someone you love (human or furry) curled up with you.
- Get some sleep! Most of us were up waaaay too late last night, clutching our knotted stomachs, playing out wort-case scenarios in our heads. Rest tonight knowing that even though times feel dark, you are going to be a light in that darkness starting tomorrow.
I hope this helps. Being a sensitive person is never easy, but it’s especially challenging on a day like today. Know that there are so many others out there. It’s just that, you know, we’re introverts, so we’re hard to find. But I’m here and there are millions of others too. Comment below or contact me if you want to chat. (Probably tomorrow ;-))